Monday, October 6, 2014

Things Done Well

Sometimes we get insights from the most unexpected of places. I saw the movie Fight Club the other day.

I did not like it at all. Not at all. I just kept on waiting for something great or inspiring to happen, but it didn't. I had heard read a lot about the movie, about the character Tyler Durden, on reddit. What is surprising is that you will not find a single person who simply is neutral about it. People either love it or hate it.

What surprised me about Fight Club was how well it was made. The music, the characters, the narration and everything else that I am not mentioning here was superb. If you throw the personal liking part away, I think it is one of the best movies I have ever seen.

As far as I am concerned, the makers did all that they could. But still I did not like it. This does not make them any less deserving of credit for what they did. This was a big revelation for me: people's opinion of your work are mostly meaningless ramblings, seen through the lens of their own perceptions.

I need to learn more about appreciating the goodness in things I don't like.

15 comments:

  1. I watched that movie with hubby and I agree, I didn't care for it at all either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havent seen it yet.
    The last line of the post...I need to do that too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I think of it, everyone needs to follow that line.

      Delete
  3. I found it okay, but yeah we have to look further. But no matter what there will always be someone that hates or loves something. Even if it is the best or worst product/movie/etc. in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was only thinking about good things that people don't like. Thanks for bringing up the bad things that people DO like.

      Delete
  4. I haven't watched the movie yet.
    Also, I find it difficult to appreciate the things I don't like....Hope it works for you..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being hopeful. Let us hope I learn fast :-)

      Delete
  5. I used to hate Pastis (a French aniseed flavoured drink), but it was always on offer wherever I went. So just as in your final paragraph, I had to learn to appreciate it. I bought a bottle and drank a tiny bit every day for weeks, eventually liking it. So your idea is good; it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cro. I am going to try more to appreciate things I don't like now :-)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very well said! Every person or thought or idea for that sake is impressive if given enough time :) It's only a matter of whether we are able to look at that dimension and appreciate. Easier said than done, although.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That easier said than done part is the problem. Let us hope our persistence prevails.

      Delete
  8. hahah this reminds me of Indian Fight Club starring dino morea! it was pathetic!

    i agree with your main point here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Also, I didn't know there was an Indian remake. Not that I wish to watch it :-)

      Delete